Vision: To combine the care and the love of knitting and crochet into a prayerful ministry that reaches out to those in need of comfort and solace. To knit many blessings into every shawl.
Mission Statement: To provide handmade shawls and/or lap robes to persons undergoing medical procedures; during an illness and recovery; as a comfort after a loss, during bereavement; for prayer or meditation; for commitment or marriage ceremonies; for birthing/nursing a baby; as a bridal shower gift; birthdays; ministering to others or just socializing…
· Since the ministry started in 2008, shawls have been completed, blessed and presented monthly. Recipients include Kenwood members, family and friends, the chaplaincy at Froedtert Hospital and Volunteer Services at the VA Hospital.
· Over a thirty shawls/lap robes are completed, blessed and waiting to be presented as needed.
· Chemo hats have been made and given to both Froedtert and Aurora Sinai..
· Prayer scarves have been presented to Froedtert for persons who do not wish to wear a shawl.
· Cotton bandages have been knit for lepers.
· Preemie hats were made for the in-gathering.
· Lots more stitches and blessings: Shawls. Scarves. Pocket shawls, and a variety of other items.
· Hats, mittens and scarves are also made for the annual mitten tree
- What are prayer shawls? Shawls that are knit, crocheted, quilted, embroidered, woven, etc. by members of the prayer shawl group. A blessing is said over the materials before the shawl is started, prayers are stitched into it, and another blessing is said over the completed shawl before it is presented.
- What are the shawls used for? They can be given for persons undergoing medical procedures; as a comfort after a loss; during bereavement; prayer or meditation; marriage ceremonies; shower gifts; during an illness or recovery; and more. The possibilities are endless.
- Who can receive a shawl? Anyone who would benefit from the warmth and comfort of wrapping in a shawl.
- How can I get a shawl to give? By calling the Kenwood church office (414 332-5935)
- How much do they cost? There is no charge for a shawl, but donations are gladly accepted. The average shawl costs $20-$25 to make, package, and send. Donations help to keep this ministry going.
- What can I do to help? Any or all of the following:
- Meet regularly at a given time to work, pray and socialize with others. (Meetings are 1st Mon. at 1:30, and 3rd Tues. at 1:30. All meetings are in the Youth Room.)
- Make shawls at home in your free time.
- Donate yarn (It takes 555 yds. for the average knitted ones or 740 yds. for crocheted ones or lap robes. That's about four or five 3.5 oz skeins.)
- Donate funds to purchase supplies. Write checks to Kenwood UMC and indicate that they are for shawl ministry.
For more information call the Kenwood church office (414 332-5935)